Meet Quatro Ambassador, Marissa Neal!
Name: Marissa Neal
Birthdate: July 14, 2006
Best accomplishments to date:
2021 2nd place beam at Nationals
2022 Elite qualifier
2022 U.S Classics 4th place all-around & 2nd place beam
2022 U.S Championships 8th place beam
I would love to be a part of the 2024 Paris Olympic team, have a great college gymnastics career, and then become an elementary school teacher!
An Interview With Marissa Neal
- How did you get involved in gymnastics?
I was very clumsy when I was little so my parents put me in gymnastics thinking it would help, and I just fell in love with the sport.
- Being on the Senior National team is exciting! What are your short and long term goals in the sport?
Short Term—My season is pretty much over this year, but I have a lot of upgrades I am hoping to add for next year and I also hope to join the national team and get an international assignment next year.
Long term—I would love to be on the 2024 Olympic team, make a World team, and after my elite career is done, have an amazing experience in college!
- Obviously any athlete who’s achieved what you have in this sport has had to start taking that activity very seriously, very early in life. Can you tell me about that moment when you decided to fully invest yourself in gymnastics training?
I think just being in the sport for so long really changed my whole mindset about everything. It made me realize how much I have given up and how much my family has sacrificed, and my gymnastics was only improving throughout the years, so I couldn’t give up easily.
- What does your training schedule look like? For example, how many hours do you train? How do you balance gymnastics with your studies?
I train around 32 hours a week and have the opportunity to go to a public school! I am a part time student and so I get out of school around 12:30 everyday and go straight to the gym. I also do some online classes and do summer school in the summer!
- What is the biggest obstacle you've overcome in the sport? How?
Luckily I have not had any big injuries, but when I was younger I had a lot of mental blocks. As I got older I learned how to trust myself and understood that I had to stay motivated!
- Favourite skills?
Handspring layout layout on beam
Double double on floor
- Do you have a role model in the sport? Someone who inspired you?
I have always been a big fan of her and her gymnastics! She is such a powerful yet graceful gymnast and has inspired so many people! Leanne Wong also inspired me because getting to train alongside her really pushed me, and she definitely changed my perspective of the sport in a positive way.
- What advice would you give to younger athletes aspiring to compete?
I would definitely tell them to just have fun. I have noticed that the meets where I just overthink everything and try to be perfect, are the meets where I struggle the most. The more fun I have, the better I end up doing! You have to remember that you are only in gymnastics for so long, so make sure you stay present and enjoy it!
- What’s your favourite memory in the sport?
I have had so many great moments in the sport, but my best memory would probably be qualifying for Elite! This was a huge step in my gymnastics career and definitely changed my perspective on the sport. This whole Elite season has been filled with so many fun things and I wouldn’t change anything about it!
- Where is the favourite place that you’ve travelled for gymnastics?
Florida. I love the sun, warm weather, and going to the beach! Normally when we go to these away meets we get to stay a little longer, so it feels like a nice vacation.
- What do you like about Quatro?
I love Quatro for many reasons, but the most important thing about Quatro is that all of the staff are AMAZING! They reach out to me before and after meets, and are respectful in every way! I also love the beautiful leotard designs! I love sparkly leotard, but often find them to be uncomfortable. That’s not the case with Quatro leotards! Quatro always manages to make whatever leotard you order super comfy while looking great! Quatro leotards have definite changed my life, and I definitely recommend them to everyone!